Sunday, December 24, 2006

Dare I say it....

I am a bit leery about writing this post because as soon as I hit publish I know something drastically annoying is going to happen, but I am taking that risk. I may regret it....

This year I have not been too keen on Christmas. Now that Christmas is here, I must admit my gloom has lifted and my radio is tuned to the 24 hour Christmas song station and I even played a visit to iTunes and downloaded some of my favorites: WHAM! - Last Christmas, Mariah Carey - All I want for Christmas, yuletide Singers - Snoopy's Christmas, and Mormon Tabernacle Choir - Carol of the Bells, plus a few more... It is a seasonal mix of trash and tradition.

We had my mom's side of the family celebration last night and I was SO dreading it. For the first time is years it was "enjoyable." When I say years I mean it. The last time I looked favorably on this event I was a child and my cousins and I played Christmas records while waiting for Santa to drop off my our new Cabbage Patch Kids. It probably helps that a few, well 14 people (only 2 families mind you - I grew up VERY Catholic), were not present. This made the 7 young children that were present, 2 of which were babies, much more tolerable. The adults actually stood a chance against them this year, usually the children have us waving white flags and begging them to go run in circles and scream elsewhere. It probably also helps that I had a sufficient buzz on most of the evening and I found out my brother's serious girlfriend is only 22 so she will most likely not have children before me - or so I can hope. Yes, they are not even married but I have to adequately prepare for my disappointment years in advance - it helps with the severity of the blow. She is a very smart and sweet girl and I do hope that he doesn't do anything too stupid because she would be a nice addition to the family. Shit, I am starting to sound like my mother.

Happy Holidays to you all ....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Hosie! I am happy to see that your spirits are up today and that the holiday trip to NP went well. I LOVE M's christmas sweater, he looks awesome! I am thinking of you and wishing you all your dreams in the new year. Love to you, DH and M from Canada,
Pythia and finance

Anonymous said...

So glad everything went well! We had 10 adults and 2 kids for dinner Christmas Eve and it was wonderful too. Happy Holidays!

Stephanie said...

Glad things went well. YOur post made me laugh!

Bea said...

Hope your Christmas continued ok. Gosh, yes, fourteen less must have made a difference.

Bea

Baby Blues said...

Merry Christmas and may we have nothing but smooth sails and calm waters in 2007!

Anonymous said...

Glad it was moderately enjoyble this year! Egg nog helps...