Friday, November 17, 2006

Recipe for Avoidance....

I have not been too social lately. Actually I have been a recluse - I don't answer the phone, hide from neighbors, and lock myself in my office at work. It has not helped that I have had a migrane for the past 2 days from the changes in hormone levels, stress, and who knows what else.

Anyway, I began wondering if it was me avoiding people or vice versa. I did make my favorite Garlic Soup Recipe Sunday evening and had the leftovers at work on Monday. Anyway, if any of you are feeling the same reclusive tendencies as me give this soup a try, it seems to repel annoying fertiles pretty successfully.

_________________________________________________________
Roasted Garlic Soup

2 heads garlic
olive oil for drizzling
salt
2 onions
2 tbls. thyme
4 tbls butter
1 can (64 oz.) chicken broth
1/2 cup half and half

Preheat oven to 350. Remove about 8 cloves of garlic from one of the heads and set aside. Take remaining head of garlic and cloves (do not peel them) and put into a small roasting dish. Drizzle with enough olive oil to cover and form a little pool at the bottom. Sprinkle with sea salt, cover loosely with a lid or foil and roast for about 35 -45 minutes - or until cloves are soft, browned, and a little mushy.

Meanwhile, chop set aside cloves and onions and saute in a soup pan with butter until onions are translucent and garlic fragrant. Sprinkle on 1/2 the thyme and set aside. Once gloves are roasted squeeze them from their husk into the onion, fresh garlic, thyme mixture in the pan. Add chicken broth to pan and bring just to a simmer. Using a hand blender or regular blender, blend soup in small batches. If it is still hot and you are using a traditional blender, don't fill the blender up entirely and substitute a towel for the lid - this allows the steam to escape and not blow the lid off.

After blending the soup to a smooth consistency put it all back in the pot. Add enough 1/2 & 1/2 to create a silky consistency and salt to taste. Add remaining thyme, bring to simmer and serve with crusty french bread.
__________________________________________________________

This is one of our winter comfort foods - enjoy. Like I said, it also does a pretty decent job of repelling folks for a day or so.

5 comments:

DD said...

Maddog 20/20 has about the same effect...less calories, too.

Lut C. said...

Fertile repellent! LOL! Must try it some time. :-)

Stephanie said...

Thanks for sharing...I just love garlic! The wonderful stinking rose.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean...we have all perfected what I call the "art of avoidance!"...or self preservation

beagle said...

My annoying fertile "friend" torments me via e-mail so I doubt this soup would help. Great idea otherwise though!